On behalf of the DeWitt Chamber of Commerce, welcome to the City of DeWitt, a warm and friendly farming community, located in the center of Arkansas County in Southeast Arkansas.
DeWitt is one of two county seats. DeWitt is the hub of the southern part of Arkansas County, surrounded by thousands of acres of rich farm land. Many of our businesses revolve around agriculture; however, we also have businesses related to education, medical, and general industry. We are proud of our businesses’ longevity. We have several businesses greater than 75 years old.
Our city houses a campus of the Phillips Community College of the University of Arkansas. This educational institution offers various degrees in business, science, manufacturing and nursing. It provides accessible, affordable education, training and public services.
Our area is also rich with recreation. All year long, you can take advantage of activities such as hunting and fishing. We have several hunting lodges within our area. The White River National Wildlife Refuge lies to our east and the Bayou Meto Wildlife Management Area lies to our west.
Another recreational activity/event is the Arkansas County Fair and Livestock Show. This week long event features Miss Arkansas County Pageant, an exciting carnival midway, arts and crafts, rodeo and a demolition derby.
Lastly, the DeWitt Chamber of Commerce hosts “Christmas on the Square”. This yearly event is held at the Arkansas County Courthouse in DeWitt.
Enjoy your stay and we welcome your return. If you would like to become a member of the DeWitt Chamber of Commerce, please contact us.
President, DeWitt Chamber of Commerce
Christmas in DeWitt
Turn on the Holidays!
- DeWitt City Hall Christmas Decorating Contest. $5 to enter at City Hall or by mail 120 Court Square, DeWitt, 72042. Deadline to enter is December 10. Winners will be announced December 14.
- DeWitt Chamber of Commerce Christmas Parade, December 13th, 4:00 p.m. on the Square. Contact Chamber of Commerce President Gary Oltmann at Arkansas County Bank for more information.
- DeWitt Lions Club Pancake Supper, a 50-plus year tradition in DeWitt! December 13, 5-7 pm at First Baptist Church of DeWitt. Tickets are $7 per person and will be available at the door or may be purchased from any Lions Club Member. Sponsored by DeWitt Lions Club and DHS Leo Club.
- Photo opportunities will be staged on the corners of the courthouse lawn for residents to take commemorative photos of their families with the courthouse in the background. The county seal with be placed at each location. Citizens can a copy of their photo to the Arkansas County Circuit Clerk and put it in the time capsule that will be buried in a ceremony on December 14 and reopen in 25 years. What a great way to place your family in the history of Arkansas County and to commemorate the 200th birthday of Arkansas County.
- An aerial photograph will be taken at 2:45 p.m. on December 14th on the DeWitt Court Square. DeWitt PRIDE is encouraging all of the citizens of Arkansas County to be on the DeWitt Court Square around 2:30 to be prepared to be on the street and in front of the Arkansas County Courthouse to be in this historic photo. The picture will be put in the time capsule to commemorate this historic event in our county’s history. Meet us on the Square December 14!!
- Breakfast with Santa, 9:00 a.m. sponsored by DeWitt Junior Women’s Club on the north east side of courthouse lawn near Santa’s Train Depot. Sponsored by Patillo School. Santa’s Express Barrel train will be running.
- DeWitt PRIDE Mistletoe Merchants on the Square, December 14, 10 am – 3 pm in the Hornbeck Building next to Gallery G Antiques. $15 per booth. For more information call Amanda Hargrove (501) 416-6764. Click here for printable flyer.
- Walking Tour of downtown historic building on the DeWitt Square. Sponsored by DHS EAST lab and DeWitt PRIDE. Learn the history and hear the stories of each building on the Square.
- Gillett Christmas Parade, Downtown Gillett, 11:00 am, Saturday, December 14th, followed by a fundraising luncheon sponsored by the Gillett Fire Department at the Fire Station in Gillett. Sponsored by Gillett Civic Group. Downtown merchants will be open.
20th Annual DeWitt Christmas Parade
Area businesses, civic and youth organizations invited to participate in the 20th Annual Christmas Parade to be held December 13 at 4:00 p.m. This year’s parade theme is “200 Years of Christmas in Arkansas County” and all activities are being held in conjunction with DeWitt’s Bicentennial celebration.
The float size for the parade is limited to those trailers that are able to be pulled by lawn tractor, golf carts, ATVs, etc. There are no vehicles, large tractors, or horses allowed in the parade. All entries must be decorated. All floats will assemble on 1st Street (enter using Monroe Street beside the old Westside School) beginning at 3:00. Judging will take place at 3:30. The Chamber of Commerce asks that candy not be allowed to be thrown from Christmas floats this year to avoid safety and trash issues since the Arkansas County Bicentennial Celebration will be held the next day, December 14, on the Dewitt Square.
Entries will be accepted until assembly time, although in order to be eligible for prize money, you must register your entry by Wednesday, December 12. Awards will be given to 1st, 2nd, & 3rd place entries: 1st place-$150, 2nd place-$100, 3rd place-$50. Join the fun!
>>>Parade Entry Form
People on the River
Since the release of “Mud” there has been a lot of interest about people living on the river in our county’s history. We are bringing to Arkansas County a special showing of the documentary film "On Solid Ground: The River Rats of Arkansas" shown several years ago at the Hot Springs Documentary Festival to the celebration. This film by Melanie Masino has received national acclaim and is in the process of being developed into a major documentary. Selective footage from this documentary will be shown in special presentations for the Arkansas County 200th celebration. Ms. Masino will also film footage of our county celebration for a future documentary which will be place in our county museum.
Best of DeWitt
The DeWitt Chamber of Commerce and the DeWitt Era-Enterprise are once again conducting the “Best of DeWitt” contest to reward DeWitt’s best and brightest.
- Citizen of the year
- Educator of the Year
- Good Neighbor of the Year
- Entrepreneur of the Year
- Volunteer/Volunteer Group of the Year
- Young Volunteer of the Year
Recipients will be recognized at the Chamber of Commerce Banquet in January. Click below to print an official nomination form; please use one form for each nomination. Forms can be mailed to P.O. Box 678. DeWitt, AR 72042. Deadline for nominations is December 16th.